Information about Aliens and UFOS - Everything3D 2

The Delbert Newhouse UFO footage, 1952.

Aliens and UFOs



On July 2, 1952, at 11:00 am, on a bright, clear morning, Warrant Officer Delbert C. Newhouse,
accompanied by his wife and two children aged 12 and 14, was driving along the open highway a
half dozen miles from Tremonton, in Northern Utah. Shortly thereafter he testified to his Navy

“…my wife noticed a group of objects in the sky that she could not identify. She asked me to
stop the car and look. There was a group of about ten or twelve objects – that bore no relation
to anything I had seen before – milling about in a rough formation and proceeding in a westerly
direction. I opened the luggage compartment of the car and got my camera out of the suitcase.
Loading it hurriedly, I exposed approximately thirty feet of film. There was no reference point
in the sky and it was impossible for me to make any estimate of speed, size, altitude or distance.
Toward the end one of the objects reversed course and proceeded away from the main group. I held
the camera still and allowed the single one to cross the field of view, picking it up again and
repeating for three or four passes. By this time all of the objects had disappeared.”

He also wrote to Project Blue Book, an Air Intelligence Officer then interviewed Newhouse and
learned that at relatively close range, before Newhouse could start filming, the UFOs appeared
flat and circular:

“shaped like two saucers, one inverted on top of the other.”

The witness explained to the Intelligence Officer that he had heard no sounds, seen no exhaust
or wake effects emanating from the objects. Before, during, nor after did planes, birds,
balloons, or other recognizable phenomena appear in the unidentified aerial objects viewing
area. He restated that the one unknown which took off on its own pursued a course opposite to
its original one and to the flight path maintained by the remainder of the group. Newhouse was
convinced the light from the objects resulted from reflection and that they were as long as
they were wide and thin (i.e disk shaped.)


Delbert C. Newhouse, at the time of his sighting, had been graduated from the naval photographic
school, and was a veteran with nineteen years’ service as a warrant officer, logging more than a
thousand hours on aerial photography missions, and twenty two hundred [2200] as chief photographer.

He was considered particularly reliable and a qualified observer. He had no implication in UFO
research before his experience, and made a sensible report, noting for example that evaluation
of distances was impossible from the film because no reference point could be filmed together
with the objects.


The equipment Newhouse employed in the motion picture of the flight of the UFOs against the deep
blue morning sky was a professional Bell and Howell 16 mm. Filmo Auto Loadmaster camera with a
three-lens turret on which he fortunately had time to pivot the turret mount to the three-inch
f.1 telephoto lens. He used two Kodachrome Daylight and the camera was hand-held during the f/8
and f/16 exposure times. It was set at 16 images per second.

At relatively close range, UFOs appeared flat and circular “shaped like two saucers, one inverted
on top of the other.” Mr. Newhouse had to unpack his Bell and Howell Automaster camera from a
case in the trunk of his car, then unpack a film cartridge from another case in the trunk of his
car, and then only he could start to film as the objects were already far away. He stated in 1956:
“When I first saw them they were nearly overhead, but by the time I got the camera ready they had
moved to a considerably greater distance.” During the filming, he had to change the film, as he ran
out of film, he then changed the iris stop of the camera from f/8 to f/16 because he was afraid
that the whole film may be overexposed.

He stated in a 1956 interview by the Air Force: “Toward the end, one of the objects reversed its
course and proceeded away from the rest of the group. I held the camera still and allowed this
single object to pass through the field of view, picking it up again later in its course.” He
explained that the isolated object did not join the group again and that “I turned, swinging the
camera just in time to see the rest of the group disappear over the western horizon.”

He added: “I’ve studied the film and I’m very disappointed. The film falls far short of what I
saw with the naked eye – due to the delay in getting the camera going and to my error in exposure
. – If I had had that camera on the seat beside me, loaded and ready to go, there wouldn’t be any
need for questions. The Air Force would have the answer.” And: “They were a bright silvery color”
and finally: They had a metallic appearance. They seemed to be made of some kind of polished metal.”
According to Newhouse, the 10 to 20 first feet of the movie showing the UFOs at closer range were
missing when a low quality copy of the films was returned to him. He never received his original
films back. The two films had originally about 1600 frames, the remaining version only has 1200
frames, totaling 90 seconds. Newhouse did not make a big fuss about this, but explained later with
bitterness that it never occurred to him that he would not receive his films back, and that if he
had suspected that he would only have sent a copy. (Of course, if the Condon commission had
analyzed the complete film instead of a shortened copy, they would have reached the same conclusion
than the previous Navy and Air Force analysis: the objects are not seagulls.)

The claim that the film was returned incomplete are exactly reminding of the same claim by Nick
Mariana, witness of a very similar visual and filmed observation in Montana in 1950, and the
accounts by witnesses claiming the Air Force does not return photographs and films are numerous.

In April 1954, the Cleveland Press, a Scripps-Howard paper, was asking authorities at ATIC for
permission to see the Tremonton, Utah film, because there were other numerous consecutive sightings
by US Marines that created UFO interest in the press again at this time. The Pentagon dragged its
feet, but finally agreed to let a journalist see it at Dayton. By the time the reporter was ready
to make the trip, ATIC told him that their only copy had just burned up. No worry, said ATIC, as
there was a master copy at the Pentagon. When the reporter spoke with an Air Force spokesman at
the Pentagon, he was told, “we have no copy here, but we believe there is one at Dayton.” The
reporter gave up. The Press ran a January 6 headline, “Brass Curtain Hides Flying Saucers.”


The film was taken seriously by both the U.S. Air Force and the Navy. The Air Force and the Navy
were convinced enough about Newhouse’s credibility to spend considerable time and money on the
analyses and to classify this film as “Top Secret”.
The Air Force conducted a first analysis at the Wright Field (home of ATIC, the Air Intelligence,
and home of project Blue Book.) The analysis concluded that the objects were not balloons or
aircraft, and most unlikely to be birds. Captain Ed Ruppelt, head of Blue Book, and Major Dewey
Fournet, liaison officer between Blue Book and the Pentagon, were convinced enough by the analysis
to decide that the film, together with the Nick Mariana filming and other evidence, should be
presented before a panel of scientists so that they examine their collection of best evidence
that there are real UFOs that are not trivial phenomenon.

Major Dewey Fournet:

"I was indeed a UFO skeptic when I was assigned to the program," Fournet states. "At some point
during the first few months of my assignment - probably during early 1952 - I became convinced
that the subject deserved serious attention.

"This change," he indicates, "occurred as a result of my exposure to the project files and the
study of the steadily increasing volume of sighting reports. "I didn't become a 'believer' in
the popular sense," he cautions, "I simply changed my posture from complete disdain of the
subject to one of conviction that it needed serious study."

Nowadays, admitting that scientific curiosity had to remain subordinated during his active
USAF participation, Fournet hopes that science will take a major role in identifying UFOs. In
the movie "Unidentified Flying Objects," Fournet (who did not play himself, though he approved
every line of his part in the script) shows Al Chop the Montana and Utah UFO films. In reality
he, like Chop, found the films very curious. Following lab tests and witness interviews
involving the Utah film, Fournet turned out to be one of the people responsible for classifying
Delbert Newhouse's filmed UFOs as "unknowns."

Al Chop had given the okay to basing the film on his experiences with the official UFO
investigation. Dewey Fournet had offered to lend technical advice. Arrangements were under way
for Edward Ruppelt to play his own role as well as give advice. Delbert Newhouse and Nicholas
Mariana were available to be interviewed on film about the unexplained UFO films they had made.

Excerpt used for educational purposes.

If you know of a really good Youtube video, please Email us the URL Address.
If you have a video, please use the submit Email Address on the Home Page.